29
5
Former GOP Presidential nominee Mitt Romney dispelled rumours that he is injecting himself into the Presidential race Friday, declaring that he is not going to run under any circumstances.
Theories have been circulating that the establishment within the GOP, desperate to derail Donald Trump, had persuaded Romney to enter the race at he last hurdle.
Some corners of the internet even claimed that Romney and Paul Ryan filed papers on January 30th to run a subsequent presidential campaign.
Appearing on the “Today” show, Romney declared “I’m not running for president, and I won’t run for president.”
Instead, Romney threw his weight behind Trump’s opponents, stating “The people who can save this party are Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio or John Kasich.”
Romney yesterday slammed Trump as a “dangerous fraud,” despite the fact that Romney courted Trump for his endorsement in 2012.
“I was seeking his endorsement, now he’s seeking mine: that’s very different. A lot of people endorsed me I wouldn’t endorse for president.” Romney stated.
“The time came when Donald Trump’s outrage had reached such a level that I simply had to speak out.” the former Massachusetts Governor urged.
“Your grandkids are going to say to you, ‘Papa, what did you do to stop Donald Trump?’ And I finally had to get out there and speak.” Romney added.
Romney claimed there are “about 65 percent of Republicans who would like someone else” to be the nominee, but conceded that Trump is the runaway leader of the pack at this time.
Romney claimed that things will change after the next set of primaries and one of Trump’s opponents will close the gap.
“We’re going to see on March 15 a narrowing of the field, and at that point I wouldn’t be surprised if I endorsed one of those guys.” Romney declared.