Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Another Tree Falls In The CBS Forest


CBS News fires political director Steve Chaggaris over ‘inappropriate behavior’



CBS News fires political director Steve Chaggaris over ‘inappropriate behavior’
CBS News fires its political director Steve Chaggaris (right) after allegations of inappropriate behavior were made. The allegations were brought to the company's attention just prior to the Christmas holiday. (Getty Images)


CBS News on Wednesday fired Steve Chaggaris, its political director, after allegations of “inappropriate behavior” were levied against the newsman, who’s been in the role since 2016.

What are the details of Chaggaris’ ouster?

CNN reported that the allegations were brought to the company’s attention just prior to the Christmas holiday.
“In the last two weeks, accounts of inappropriate behavior by Steve Chaggaris were brought to our attention and were immediately investigated,” a representative for CBS News said in a statement. “As a result, CBS News has severed ties with Mr. Chaggaris for violating company policy, effective immediately.”
Chaggaris joined CBS in 1999 and remained there until 2010, when he took a short break from the company until 2012, when he was rehired.
In the political director role, Chaggaris frequently oversaw Trump administration coverage, according to CNN.
In its own report, CBS News highlighted the importance of its employees being transparent and forthcoming about allegations of workplace sexual harassment.
“In light of recent highly publicized harassment cases, CBS and other big media companies told staffers how important it is to report instances of all types of improper behavior to human resources or managers,” CBS News wrote in its report.
CBS News reported that Chaggaris could not be reached for comment and indicated that he had deleted his Twitter profile.
CBS did not immediately name a replacement for Chaggaris.

Anything else?

Chaggaris is the second higher-profile CBS staffer to be let go over the last several months.
Charlie Rose, PBS host and co-anchor of “CBS This Morning,” was dismissed from the network in November after at least eight women came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct.
In a statement, Rose apologized for some of the accusations, acknowledging their validity, but added that some accounts were inaccurate.
“In my 45 years in journalism,” Rose said, “I have prided myself on being an advocate for the careers of the women with whom I have worked. Nevertheless, in the past few days, claims have been made about my behavior toward some former female colleagues.”
“It is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior. I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken,” he said.
“I have learned a great deal as a result of these events,” Rose concluded, “and I hope others will too. All of us, including me, are coming to a newer and deeper recognition of the pain caused by conduct in the past, and have come to a profound new respect for women and their lives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your comments are needed for helping to improve the discussion.