A Florida mother was arrested Friday after an investigation was launched when educators noticed the shirt a student wore to class.
According to Bay News 9, officers responded to West Hernando Middle School after educators noticed a student wearing a shirt claiming abuse.
“I currently have all F’s in all of my classes,” the front of the shirt read. “I am not aloud [sic] to have a boyfriend no time soon. So back off before I get another good woopin like I got last night.”
Image source: Hernando County Sheriff's Office via NBC News
Image source: Hernando County Sheriff’s Office via NBC News
Image source: Hernando County Sheriff's Office via NBC News
Image source: Hernando County Sheriff’s Office via NBC News
“So unless you are helping me with this goal, back off!” the shirt continued on the back. “My eating french fries and being a social butterfly is over because I know why my parents send me to school. I now know the importance of an education. I will learn. I will listen to all my teachers and be respectful at all times.”
An officer who arrived at the scene observed “numerous bruises and belt marks to the child’s arms and shoulders down to her wrists,” according to a police report.
After visiting the child’s home and interviewing Melany Joynce Alexander, 31, the woman admitted to hitting the child because she was failing school, police said.
Image source: Image source: Hernando County Sheriff's Office via New York Daily News
Image source: Image source: Hernando County Sheriff’s Office via New York Daily News
Parents at the school who learned of the abuse were appalled.
“You don’t treat a child like that,” Amy Benedetto told Bay News 9. “You don’t treat anyone like that.”
According to WTVJ-TV, Alexander is being held on a $2,500 bond.