CNN host Anderson Cooper apologized for a "crude" remark directed at President Trump supporter Jeffrey Lord during his show on Friday, calling his comment "unprofessional."
During a segment on AC360, Cooper verbally sparred with Lord, a CNN political commentator, over revelations that Trump reportedly told Russian officials that former FBI Director James Comey is a "nut job" who was adding pressure to the ongoing investigation of possible interference in the 2016 election. Clearly frustrated with Lord's response to the matter, Cooper interrupted the conservative pundit and interjected with a not-so-subtle jab.
“If he took a dump on his desk, you would defend it,” Cooper told Lord. “I don’t know what he would do that you would not defend.”
“You’re a loyal guy, I think that speaks well of you,” he added as Lord, who initially laughed at Cooper's remark, looked on:
Cooper later provided an apology both on-air and on Twitter:

I regret the crude sentence i spoke earlier tonight and followed it up by apologizing on air. It was unprofessional. I am genuinely sorry.
"I regret the crude sentence I spoke earlier tonight and followed it up by apologizing on air," the CNN host tweeted. "It was unprofessional. I am genuinely sorry."
Naturally, Cooper's remark made the social media rounds, with some prominent Hollywood figures sounding off: