This is what the end of our country as we knew it. The first thing that dies is freedom of speech and it is gone.
The battle of Charlottesville: At least two seriously hurt in clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters at massive march in Virginia as governor warns public to 'stay away'
- Thousands were expected to attend the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday
- Two have were seriously hurt in one heated clash before 11am, Virginia State police reported
- The rally was being held at Emancipation Park and hundreds were seen stomping through the city
- Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer denounced the 'cowardly parade of hatred, bigotry, racism, and intolerance march down the lawns of the architect of our Bill of Rights'
- A local state of emergency was declared around 11am and it was determined an unlawful assembly
- Alt right leader Jason Kessler led a torch lit march through the University of Virginia campus on Friday
- Hundreds of white nationalists joined him in the march which ended at the statue of Thomas Jefferson
- The alt-right activists were heard chanting 'Jews will not replace us' and 'white lives matter'
- They clashed with University of Virginia students who held an anti-racist protest on the grounds
- At least one person was arrested and several on campus were treated for minor injuries
- Director of the Center on Extremism said Saturday's event could 'be a potentially historic showcase of hate'
- First Lady Melania Trump admonished the day's events, tweeting: 'Our country encourages freedom of speech, but let's communicate w/o hate in our hearts. No good comes from violence'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4783914/White-nationalists-hold-torch-lit-march-UVA-campus.html#ixzz4pZ1CNoqj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook